Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eating better one step at a time...

As a college student, I've always known that I haven't been eating right. It's so easy to go pick up a bag of potato chips or something off the dollar menu when you have to study for that next big test or write your term paper. Thankfully, there are ways that I have learned to eat better foods while I'm at school. I stress that this is only a beginning and I believe my eating habits will change over time. Some ways in which I have started to improve my diet include the following:

1) Fruit cups

Whether it be fresh or packaged, 1 fruit cup guarantees you a serving a fruit a day. Make sure its not riddled with sugar and you easily have a natural energy source and a source of essential fruits and vitamins. I usually get a bulk pack from Costco or Sam's Club and it lasts me a few weeks.

2) Cereal in a bag

Cereal has one mineral in it that many adults don't get-fiber. Fiber helps with digestion and has been linked  to reducing many chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. All you need to do is put some cereal in a bag and it makes a good snack. Just make sure it's not one of those cereals that are made from sugar-as delicious as they are, they're not that great for you either!

3) Choose your drinks carefully
As some of you know, sodas are readily available at the fountains and sports drinks that promise a boost of vitamins are also very popular. Instead, pick a few fruit juices that are low in sugar and then increase how much water you're drinking. I say pick a few fruit juices because you can't eliminate all sugars, but keep in mind that it shouldn't be the only thing you drink. Bottom line-water and some fruit juices and you're on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment