Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Food Post: Bananas Foster

FLAMBE!
I first found out about Bananas Foster through my friend's friend (quite a connection there!) who made this desert before we started our Spring semester. Once I heard the "bananas" bit, I was instantly turned off to it because I have never liked the taste of bananas and I can never eat bananas without taking allergy medicine first. Once he was done making this concoction, I took a bite and I it was AMAZING!

On Friday, my friend and I recreated this dish and it was just as amazing as I remember it! Below the jump is the original recipe from Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, the original creators of this desert. I hope you enjoy it! 

A few things before you indulge-1) This is very much an adult desert because it has rum and banana liqueur and 2) This recipe involves fire (as the picture shows), so PLEASE be careful and exercise care and all the fire safety tips you've ever learnt!
  • ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ cup banana liqueur (my note: 99 Bananas or any sort of Creme de Banana will do)
  • 4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
  • ¼ cup dark rum
  • 4 scoops vanilla ice cream (my note: We found this to be optional if you don't have the biggest sweet tooth in the world)

1) Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambĂ© pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. 
2) Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. 
3) Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment