Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Experimenting with: Queen Helen Moisture Rich Conditioner

So a while back, during my once-in-a-blue-moon trip to Whole Foods (a.k.a Whole Paycheck in this post), I went around searching for a new conditioner because the one I had been using previously had started to make my hair itch. Originally, I was on the lookout for Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle conditioner that everyone has been raving about, but once again, that price tag sent me into shock and I had to look for another alternative and because I didn't have any conditioner left at home, I had to find something.

Then, in typical "me" fashion, I looked over at this new conditioner from Queen Helene and thought that I should give it a shot because it didn't cost an entire paycheck and hopefully, I would pick up on a great product that I discovered by accident.

So is this12 oz conditioner worth your $7.99+tax? Read more behind the jump and find out!
My variables-I have very fine, tightly coiled hair. If you want to use the Andre Walker system, my head is 4a throughout


To gauge whether or not this would work, I properly de-tangled my hair, washed with a clarifying shampoo and then added a moisturizing shampoo. Yes, this seems like a lot but the best way to see how a product works with your strands is to try it with as little product build up as possible. For me, I have very simple expectations for a good conditioner-a conditioner that works for me adds slip into my hair after I wash it out without buildup. 
A dollop of conditioner
Thickness of product



Overhead shot with product

A close up of a section with product



Things I like about this conditioner
  • Fragrance-This was the first property that drew me to the product in the first place.  The smell is very light and doesn't induce headaches. I'm not very good at describing scents, but I did smell a lot of cream and some kind of exotic berry.
  • Amount of product needed-I didn't need a whole lot of product per section to make this work which is a plus for me because that means I don't have to run back to get more so soon.
  • No frizz-the bottle said that this conditioner would reduce frizz and it did as promised.
Things I didn't like about this conditioner:
  • Rinse out results: If you're someone who likes to tweak a conditioner with oils and all that jazz to optimize moisturizing effects, then you could make this conditioner better. I'm not really huge on too much tweaking so I was kind of disappointed that the conditioner didn't give my hair the slip I wanted
Overall verdict: I never discard a product if I didn't like it the first time-I feel that I need to finish this bottle before absolutely saying I'll never buy it again or that this is my new holy grail. As for first impressions, it was a decent product. It didn't make my hair crunchy nor did it undo my almost 2 and a half hours of tangling so I won't say that this is going on my no-buy list, but I'm also not sure if I would go out to Whole Paycheck to buy the entire line either. I would probably give it a B- because the smell definitely helped the cause of this product-the smell of this conditioner is very unique and I quite loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment